The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Friday defended its decision to hire Naseebo Lal, Aima Baig and Young Stunners to perform the anthem of the sixth edition of Pakistan Super League (PSL).
According to a report, a PCB spokesperson said that the three artists were asked to do the song as the board wanted to feature voices that were new and had not sung any PSL anthem before.
“Naseebo Lal is an extremely talented, underutilised vocalist whose voice has the strength to carry this cricket anthem,” the official is reported to have said. He further added that Aima gave young energy to the anthem.
The spokesperson said that Young Stunners were a “natural choice” to be a part of the anthem as they are leaders in the hip-hop scene of the country.
“Cricket and music have always formed a natural union in Pakistan. The thought process was to pave the way for a new sound of cricket in Pakistan that appeals to the multi-dimensional audience that comes with Pakistan’s biggest cricketing event,” added the spokesperson.
Meanwhile, PSL also shared a behind the scenes (BTS) video of the song’s shoot in which the singers can be seen talking about their role in the song.
In the video, Naseebo Lal said, “It feels so good because this is the first time I’ve done a project which is making me happy.”
“My groove is my beloved Pakistan and the camera is also my groove,” she added.
While talking about cricket and music, the producer of Groove Mera, Xulfi said, “There is one thing common in cricket and music, which is rhythm. You might have heard commentators talking about a bowler’s rhythm and rhythm is excitingly called as groove.”
He further elaborated about the word groove, saying, “We usually say that if Shaheen Afridi has taken 4 wickets in a match, then on that day, he’s in groove.”
“So, Groove Mera is everyone’s groove in PSL. This can be anyone’s groove, if that’s a commentator’s groove or basic cricketer, batsman, baller or we all musicians and artists’ groove, who are singing or it may be yours [public] as well,” he said.
“I could feel Naseebo’s voice echoing in the stadium.”
“We knew how to get the balance among Naseebo, Aima and the Young Stunners. We exactly knew what their vibe is separately and we then made a connecting melody, which is basically the hook the song,” Xulfi continued.
“It is the hybrid of all the personalities of the singers, who are in this song,” he concluded.
Aima Baig said, “I feel overwhelmed first of all, because I’ve been doing [this] for the past three years and it’s been an amazing journey and experience and yet again I’m here doing this. So I’m really very thankful and I cannot thank enough for the love HBL PSL has given me.”
“Anthem’s vibe is pretty street and I really like it because our public really like street songs and music and it is very festive EDM. Overall I love the vibe,” she shared.
Talha Younus said, “I am really very honoured to be the part of HBL PSL’s anthem. I’m just loving it and it’s really very crazy out there.” While Talha Anjum said, “A very good experience, this was the first time i was working with Aima and Naseebo Lal and I’ve heard them… [Aaah] Naseebo for a very long time. So yeah, very excited to work with both of them.
Younus further said, “This time, I think they have tried something different and something that is out of the box. Not something they always do, so I feel like people would love it.
Meanwhile, talking to media, Punjab chief minister’s aide Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan, putting down the song, said that she did not like it at all. The PSL 2021 anthem “could have been improved further”, she said, adding that Naseebo Lal is Pakistan’s ‘laal,’ or beloved.
“Here we were representing the league in front of international players, this is not district-level league. The Lal should have been presented as a jewel and voice of the nation,” she added.
“If there is any chance of improvement, then we should opt for it,” she concluded
The official anthem of the sixth edition of Pakistan’s highly-anticipated cricket series was released a few days ago, following which there was a storm of memes on social media.
A large number of users including Shoaib Akhtar had expressed their displeasure over the official PSL 2020 anthem, criticising it for composition, using Naseebo Lal’s voice, and getting Young Stunners on board. While many celebrities and common people have praised and backed the performance of artists in the song.
The post PCB defends Naseebo Lal, ‘Groove Mera’ appeared first on The Current.
Comments
Post a Comment